Tuesday 20 January 2009

Indian Invasion Comedy: Civilizing the West


Indian Invasion Comedy: Civilizing the West
Ever wonder: "What does the red on the forehead really mean?" or "Why don't Indian women marry Indian men?"

A Wrench In The Works Entertainment is proud to present five of the top Indian stand up comedians in North America, taped live before a sold out audience in Hollywood, California. Blowing aside political correctness, these five hilarious comics masterfully break down every imaginable stereotype while covering subjects including politics, racism, dating, childhood, pop-culture, and being a gay Indian in America. With no topic off-limits, the result is pure comedy: raw, revealing, and wildly entertaining. If you like Russell Peters, the Axis of Evil, and Allah Made Me Funny, you'll love this DVD.

Indian Invasion Comedy brings these enormously talented comedians together for two hours of nonstop, side-splitting entertainment you can't see anywhere else. Bonus features include exclusive backstage comedian interviews.
Customer Review: Very talented Indian comedians!
I had seen number of these comedians perform live in local clubs in Los Angeles, as they toured the country, and I am glad I found this DVD. I especially love the insightful family comedy of Rajiv Satyal and Vijai Nathan. If you're Indian, then you can definitely relate to cheap parents, and the difficulties of the Indian dating scene. (This probably applies to many minorities!) Vidur Kapur, the only gay Indian comedian I am aware of, is also very funny as he describes dealing with the conflicts that his sexual orientation and his culture bring into his life. The least "Indian" of the group is Mark Saldana, and if you have sensitive ears, you may want to skip this chapter due to the language (though you'll miss one of the funniest jokes!). Dalia seems to be the newcomer of the group, but her quirky brand of comedy kept me laughing. I just wish her part was a bit longer. The production of the DVD is superb, with stereo sound, and widescreen format.
Customer Review: Not Funny
I bought this DVD after watching a couple of Russell Peters shows and I was hoping to get something on the same level. I was very disappointed when I watched this because it wasn't even remotely funny. The only decent comedian of the bunch was the final one, Vidur Kapur. The rest are very amateurish and exuded a lot of nervous energy which did not work well. I didn't see anything original or entertaining about this DVD and I regret buying it. I'm sure there are videos of this on youtube. I suggest watching some of them before buying this DVD. I wish I did that myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment