Wednesday 21 January 2009

The Second City - First Family of Comedy


The Second City - First Family of Comedy
With its revolutionary improvisation acting techniques and staggering roster of talent who got their starts on its stages, Second City's influence on popular culture cannot be overstated. Although hardly definitive, this three-part retrospective is a welcome and entertaining primer to this comedy institution. The first episode, hosted by Dave Thomas, sets the stage, chronicling the Second City's embryonic incarnations at the University of Chicago, its humble beginnings as a Chicago cabaret, the establishment of a Toronto company, and the launch of SCTV. Scott Thompson, better known as a member of Kids in the Hall, hosts episode 2, which pays tribute to SCTV. Joe Flahrety hosts episode 3, which spotlights notable alumni who brought their improvisational talents to a national prominence, including Mike Myers, Tina Fey, and Ryan Stiles. A Who's Who of comedy reflect on their Second City stints, including Oscar-nominee Alan Arkin, Dan Aykroyd, Jim Belushi, Catherine O'Hara, Harold Ramis, and Martin Short. As history, First Family of Comedy is sketchy (there is scant mention of improvisation guru and mentor Del Close). Those who are inspired to learn more about Second City should read Jeffrey Sweet's Something Wonderful Right Away, Sheldon Patinkin's The Second City: Backstage at the World's Greatest Comedy Theatre, or Janet Coleman's The Compass: The Improvisational Theatre That Revolutionized American Comedy. --Donald Liebenson


Interview With SCTV's Dave Thomas

Anyone who knows Saturday Night Live or SCTV knows many of the most famous cast members all came out of Second City, an improv and sketch comedy theater troupe based out of Chicago (with more troupes in Toronto, Las Vegas and other cities). Notable alums include SNL's Dan Aykroyd, Gilda Radner, John Candy, Chris Farley, Bill Murray, Mike Myers, Tina Fey, Martin Short; Christopher Guest improv players Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara; and famed comedic actors Bonnie Hunt, Steve Carell, Shelley Long, Jim Belushi. (There's tons more.)

Acorn has released The Second City: First Family of Comedy, a behind-the-scenes documentary on the troupe's history that features interviews with much of the famed graduates. SCTV's Dave Thomas, a Second City alum who's best known for "The Adventures of Bob & Doug McKenzie: Strange Brew," his skit with Rick Moranis, and recent appearences on Arrested Development and Weeds. We got Mr. Thomas to wax nostalgic on the old days of Second City and share some memorable tales as well as his own recommendations. -- Ellen A. Kim

Hello Dave - Thanks for talking to Amazon.com today.
Always a pleasure to talk to the merchants of tomes.

You host part of Second City: The First Family of Comedy and contribute many memories from being an alum. Can you share with us one memorable tale from the early years of Second City?
One night John Candy and I decided to do an improv scene in gibberish--you know, like a fake foreign language--just to see if we could get some laughs without using any real words. About a minute or two into the scene, a woman threw a highball glass at us and it shatter at shoulder level on the back wall between John and I. I left the stage, grabbed a police jacket and hat and went into the audience. When I got there, John was still on stage and I yelled, "Who threw that glass?!" John told me later that he thought I was a real cop and couldn't believe how fast the police got there. The audience thought so too, because they pointed at this woman as the offender and I pointed at her and said, "You, out!" and she got up and walked over to me.

Now I realized I had taken the street theater thing too far. What was I going to do? Arrest this woman? What if she got violent? But before she even got to me, Candy was off the stage and into the audience. He took her by the arm and led her backstage, saying, "You are barred from this theater. You are never allowed to come here again." Then he opened the door behind the stage and tossed her out into the alley behind the theater. When he closed the door, we both burst out laughing. It was one of those moments of stage where the whole theater becomes the stage and it all gets much more exciting and fun.

Say it's your first day as a member of the theater troupe. Is the atmosphere more like a) the first day of junior high, b) basic training, or c) rushing a fraternity?
It's not like any of those things. Anyone who joins a theater troupe has been there in their minds many times before the actual thing happens.

Who are your greatest comic influences?

Peter Sellers, Jonathan Winters, Bob Hope.

Which young comedians (Second City or not) impress you right now?
I really loved the Borat movie. Will Ferrell makes me laugh. Paul Rudd is hilarious. He was the best thing in The 40 Year Old Virgin. Sarah Silverman is very funny.

When you were in Second City, was there one person everyone knew right away, "Oh, he/she will easily be a big star"? Or anyone who was a late bloomer?
Actually, I kinda felt that they were all going to be big stars and they all did. I was on stage with Dan Aykroyd, John Candy, Catherine O'Hara, Martin Short, Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin. I think the only one I was worried about was me.

You were famous for playing Bob Hope, most recently in a Simpsons episode. Did you ever meet Mr. Hope, and what did he think of your impression?
Yeah, I met Bob Hope many times. I did a couple of shows with him, played golf with him, went to his house. It was really crazy.

Second City is legendary in Chicago. Is there a membership card you can whip out and get, say, a better table or free parking anywhere?
My membership card is my face--with an upcoming expiry date that will make it unusable very soon.

You've appeared in episodes of Arrested Development, Weeds and King of the Hill. What's the funniest show out there right now?
I like a lot of shows. The Simpsons is still consistently good. I love Boston Legal. I think David E. Kelley's summations that he writes for James Spader are absolutely brilliant. Letterman and Conan O'Brien make me laugh a lot. I also watch other weird stuff like Heroes. I love sci-fi.

Since we're Amazon, we'd like to know what films/DVDs you're watching, what books you're reading, or what CDs you're listening to. Any recommendations?
I'm very happy Flyboys was released on DVD. I missed it when it came out [in theaters]. I liked The Departed. I just read A Futile and Stupid Gesture: How Doug Kenney and National Lampoon Changed Comedy Forever. I knew Doug and a lot of those guys, so it was interesting to see how Karp portrayed them. I am about to read The Stolen Child: A Novel by Keith Donohue. I'm looking forward to that.


Customer Review: SCTV
SCTV ONE OF THE GREATEST IN COMEDY-HAS JUST BOMBED!! THIS IS LIKE A INTERVIEW NOT THE SHOW BIG DIFFERENCE....I WAS VERY DISAPOINTED.NISHEKO
Customer Review: Good, but better if you're from Canada
I somewhat enjoyed this series of 3 specials made for Canadian TV. However with the exception of Tina Fey and Rachael Dratch there is no focus on any comedians spawned from Chicago past 1990. I was pleased with the first 2 segments, which chronicled its beginnings in Chicago in the 50's through SCTV in the 80's, but the third segment left me unsatisfied. George Wendt, Shelley Long, Tim Kazurinsky, Mary Gross, Dan Castellaneta, Chris Farley, Tim Meadows, Bob Odenkirk, Steve Carell, Paul Dinello, Amy Sedaris, Stephen Colbert; these are just some noteworthy alumni which are NOT EVEN MENTIONED in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment