Monday 13 April 2009

Shine a Light [Blu-ray]


Shine a Light [Blu-ray]
Studio: Paramount Home Video Release Date: 07/29/2008 Run time: 122 minutes Rating: Pg13
Customer Review: OK.....But.....
One thing which has been (surprisingly) overlooked in the many reviews here is the fact that Mick was obviously in poor vocal shape at the time of the filming. He can't hit the high notes or hold a note, particularly in the earlier part of the concert. He has to resort to half talking/half singing and sounds somewhat like a rather poor Mick Jagger imitator. One plus of this is that you can actually make out the words to the lyrics when he's in this mode. Later in the concert he loosens up a bit vocally, but never reaches the 'normal' Mick sound. Keith gets a couple of vocals and has never sounded better, IMHO. His usually reedy, thin voice has some uumph this time out. I've got the Bridges to Bablyon DVD and IMAX and I would rate this one 3rd after IMAX and Bridges. I'll update this after I receive the Four Flicks and Biggest Bang DVD's
Customer Review: The Harley Davidson of Rock 'n' Roll
Several years ago, when the Rolling Stones were scheduled to come to town, The Wife suggested we should go to a Stones concert just once before we die. While that is a great item for a bucket list, the prospect of vast crowds and traffic, late hours, and music too loud was too much for me. Last year we fulfilled this dream after all. Sort of. There were no crowds or traffic, the show was just before one in the afternoon, the music was loud but not painful, and and it was better than any concert I've ever seen. *ANY* concert. After 5 or 10 minutes of setup footage on Scorsese, Mick Jagger comes on. At the first notes of "Jumpin' Jack Flash" I felt a thrill rush up my spine and into my head. It didn't stop for two hours, it just went on and on. I had tears on my cheeks - it was that good. There were so many details so incredibly well done; it was exhausting. Every time Keith Richards would hit a certain chord for emphasis, the camera would single him out of the chaos just then: you'd hear it and see it as if it were the only thing on the screen; then the chaos again. The camera angles were amazing. The closeups unbelievable. The cutting and moving was fast but linear and clean. There were calm moments as well. Like at the end of one set, when - almost unnoticed - Richards gives away his guitar to Buddy Guy. What a thing to see. All the music I've heard hundreds of times over 45 years seemed like it was new again. And powerful. For the first time, I imagined musical instruments could be lethal weapons. Even the final shot left me gasping - How did they DO that?!" It's one of the top 4 theater experiences of my life. ("Jaws" is #1. You had to be there. And "Psycho" -- when you don't know what's coming -- is #3.) "Shine A Light" (IMAX) - Grade: A+ == PT

No comments:

Post a Comment