Wednesday 24 June 2009

My Side of the Mountain


My Side of the Mountain
A folk singer and a librarian help a canadian boy who wants to live in the woods like thoreau. Studio: Paramount Home Video Release Date: 08/23/2005 Starring: Ted Eccles Frank Perry Run time: 100 minutes Rating: G Director: James B. Clark
Customer Review: Enhance the life of a child you love.
A single viewing of this movie captured my imagination, instilled a sense of adventure, and left me with a desire to pursue my life with ambition and confidence. I was nine years old when I saw it, and I'm 35 now. I can say without question, this is one of the best children's movies ever made.
Customer Review: Skip the movie - read the book!
My Side of the Mountain is a wonderful book. It explores a boy's adventures in living off the land on his grandfather's old farmland in the Catskill Mountains. He befriends several forest critters and raises and trains a peregrine falcon while learning how to survive in nature. That said, I looked forward to seeing the movie. Unfortunately, the movie has no relationship to the book except for the name of the boy (Sam Gribley)and the name of the falcon (Frightful). The location was moved to Quebec (no mention of grandpa's farm so Sam is clearly trespassing now), a pet raccoon named Gus was added (why?), Frightful is killed off (why? There are 2 more books in the trilogy), Sam is there with a microscope to do algae experiments (and the purpose of this is....?) and Sam learns his lesson (?) after being snowed in for 2 days and goes home at Christmas. Forgetting the lack of relevence to the book, the movie story does not play well on its own. Forget this dvd - it is definitely not worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment