Friday 11 September 2009

Pete's Dragon


Pete's Dragon
Disney loved to mix live action with animation (Mary Poppins, Bedknobs and Broomsticks), but this 1977 effort falls on its face. The turn-of-the-century story concerns an orphaned boy whose only friend is a cartoon monster. While the latter is entertainingly rendered, the rest of the film strains to be enchanting and the cast overreaches in a big way. Not for anybody over the age of ten. --Tom Keogh
Customer Review: Pete's Dragon is an excellent family film
Pete's Dragon (Disney Gold Classic Collection) I purchased this film for my son when he was 12 years old...He watched it over and over again, until he not only knew the songs by heart, but the dialogue as well..I must admit, I enjoyed it as much as he did...Years later, I purchased the DVD for his children, who also watch it over, and over, and over again...I got so caught up in it that I went and purchased a copy for myself. I think the best way to judge the excellence of a film, is when you can watch it repeatedly, and not only continue to enjoy it, but to learn from it...Having actually worked in theatre and film for over 40 years, I can honestly say that this film meets that criteria, and that it must be judged for what it is...a fantasy...and under those guidelines, it excels. The characterizations are exquisite and well performed within the guidelines of a fantasy, and the music is catchy, and fun..Just what is needed in childrens theatre. I consider this film to be a classic in fantasy, and very harshly misjudged by certain critics, who seem to believe that the only good critique is a negative one...Hats off to Disney and the cast for creating this masterpiece, that I am certain will be enjoyed by generations to come...A must for anyone with children.
Customer Review: For the next generation
This was my daughter's favorite movie when she was a child. This Christmas I decided to give a copy to her to enjoy with her 6 yr old son. The movie is entertaining and showcases good moral values on a level that a child can understand. Perhaps going "back to basics" is not such a bad idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment