Monday 30 March 2009

The Postman (Bantam Classics)


The Postman (Bantam Classics)
This is the story of a lie that became the most powerful kind of truth. A timeless novel as urgently compelling as War Day or Alas, Babylon, David Brin's The Postman is the dramatically moving saga of a man who rekindled the spirit of America through the power of a dream, from a modern master of science fiction.

He was a survivor--a wanderer who traded tales for food and shelter in the dark and savage aftermath of a devastating war. Fate touches him one chill winter's day when he borrows the jacket of a long-dead postal worker to protect himself from the cold. The old, worn uniform still has power as a symbol of hope, and with it he begins to weave his greatest tale, of a nation on the road to recovery.
Customer Review: A great adventure.
I had not seen the movie when I read this book, so the story was fresh for me. I was looking for a smaller story, I think, of the post apocalypse, but this was an exciting surprise. It is a great adventure and survival story. Good writing, good characters, but it may seem a bit sexist at times, so it should be taken into consideration the times in which this book was written. There was a breaking point for me though, at the ending. I'm not sure why the author made such a departure from the basic plot and tried to go sci-fi.
Customer Review: First Class Delivery
I love this book, and was one of the books I remember reading until 4 in the morning just because I couldn't put it down. Then came the film, which I actually picketed at our local cinema, I couldn't in all good faith allow anyone who had read the book to see the film. David Brin kindly shared some of his thoughts with me on the matter via the power of e-mail and whilst he was generous in crediting Mr Costner with trying to stick to the spirit of the book, this is definitely a case of "if it aint broke, don't fix it". Ok, this would make a better mini-series than a film, but there you go. Anyway, where was I? Ok, itinerant story teller adopts identity of long dead postman, builds new hopes, defeats survivalist army, sets off to California to reform the Beach Boys (it is unclear whether Tom Petty assists him in this endeavour) etc etc. I have begged and cajoled Mr Brin for a Postman 2 (Postman 2 - Not known at this address") in which a furious Oregon populace get all annoyed for having wasted all their time doing stuff in the name of The Restored United States only to find it doesn't exist, well, you would be a trifle cheesed off wouldn't you? Anyway, book good film bad, and by the look of the economic and energy situation as I write this (October 2008), you will all soon be able to recreate Gordon Krantzs' adventures for yourselves! So in summary, visit the apocalypse before it visits you. I bid you farewell

No comments:

Post a Comment